Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center offers a one-year, full-time psychology internship to doctoral students in clinical, counseling, or school psychology. For the 2022-2023 training year, there will be two intern positions. The 12-month internship begins July 1, 2022.
The Doctoral Psychology Internship Program is a member of the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Center (APPIC; member code 2527). The Program is not currently APA-accredited. We submitted our self-study to the American Psychological Association (APA) Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation (OPCA) and have been approved for a site visit, which will likely occur between January and May, 2022. We cannot guarantee that accreditation will be granted. The contact information for the APA OPCA is included here.
American Psychological Association
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
750 1st St., NE
Washington, DC 20002
Telephone: (202) 336-5979
TDD/TTY: (202) 336-6123
Fax: (202) 336-5978
- Applicants must currently be enrolled in a doctoral (i.e., Ph.D. or PsyD) program in clinical, counseling, or school psychology.
- At this time, applicants will be considered from both APA- and non APA-accredited programs. Applicants from online programs will not be considered.
- Prior to the APPIC ranking deadline, applicants must have completed (1) at least three years of graduate coursework in their current field, (2) supervised practicum work with children, adolescents, and families and/or with those with trauma histories, (3) all required doctoral course work, and (4) have successfully proposed their dissertation.
- Applicants with previous clinical experience with children, adolescents, and families, previous clinical experience working with those with trauma histories, and those with a career interest in child maltreatment will be the best fit for the internship program.
- Applicants who are bilingual in English and Spanish and those underrepresented in psychology are especially encouraged to apply.
In order to apply, prospective interns should submit their completed application via the AAPI Online Applicant Portal by Monday, November 1, 2021 11:59pm EST.
The AAPI Online Portal is accessed through the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Center’s (APPIC) online application service: https://aapicas.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login. The Doctoral Psychology Internship Program’s membership code is 2527.
To be considered, the following materials must be submitted through the APPIC’s Online Service by Monday, November 1, 2021:
- Cover letter/letter of intent summarizing career goals and interest in the DCAC Doctoral Psychology Internship Program
- If applicable, as part of your cover letter, please include a statement discussing how you and your program have adapted to changes in training opportunities due to COVID-19. Please discuss any changes to training opportunities and the accumulation of hours toward supervised practicum work.
- Curriculum Vitae
- APPIC Application for Psychology Internship (AAPI)
- Under the “Treatment Summary” portion of the AAPI, please include a deidentified therapy/counseling intake report including case conceptualization and treatment recommendations AND the corresponding treatment/discharge summary for the same case. Please clearly mark which section captures the intake report and which section captures the treatment/discharge summary.
- Three letters of recommendation (one from the applicant’s Director of Clinical Training and two others from clinical supervisors)
Interview notifications will occur on Friday, November 12, 2021. All interviews will be conducted in person on either Wednesday, December 15, 2021 or Thursday, December 16, 2021. This internship site agrees to abide by the APPIC policy that no person at this training facility will solicit, accept, or use any ranking-related information from any intern applicant.
Questions regarding the DCAC Doctoral Psychology Internship Program may be directed to Elena M. Doskey, Ph.D., Director of Clinical Training, at firstname.lastname@example.org.